Monday, May 3, 2010

Homecoming



I just got home from a 3-day weekend in Massachusetts for my cousin's wedding, and I was greeted with two surprises - one good, and one not so good. First the bad news: I have been invaded by ants! Poor G had to deal with the swarm when she came in to feed my cats (sorry G - but thanks for the clean-up effort!) and unfortunately they had returned by the time I got home. They're those teeny-tiny ants that walk in straight lines across your floor - it would be fascinating if the floor they were crawling across wasn't my kitchen! They seem to have come in around the kitchen door, and they were drawn in by the cats' food bowls. Poor Bailey and Pepper - I'm not sure how much ant-free food they got this weekend! Now for the good news: after I spent about 45 minutes trying to clean up the ant mess (I went all-out and used the serious, chemical ant-killer stuff) I noticed that the rose bush outside was blooming! I'd almost completely forgotten about the "yellow rose of Texas" that was here when I moved in. I don't think it even had buds in it when I left on Friday, but its covered witht hem now and there are too full roses already. It made up for the ant invasion...

2 comments:

L. said...

I've had the same problem and worried about using ant stuff near where the cats eat; one trick is to sprinkle a thick line of cinnamon across the door threshold (or wherever they're entering from) and that will keep the ants at bay--plus my cats didn't seem to mind the cinnamon at all!

M said...

Actually, G did sprinkle the cinnamon around the door threshold (I'd never heard of that - very cool!) and it looked like it was keeping them away, but they seem to have found another entrance through a small hole in the baseboard near the door. Diabolical little buggers! So, I sprayed the chemicals around the outside of the door and exterior kitchen wall. This morning they were all gone, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!