Sunday, June 29, 2008

Budgeting...

I need to get my finances in order. If I am indeed going to try to buy a house any time in the near future, I have to prove to myself that I'm capable of living on a pretty severely restricted budget every month. So, this morning, I got out a handy-dandy day-planner that I haven't really used much, and decided to chart out all of my required expenses for the next month, and figure out how much cash I can allow myself to spend. Well, my math skills are sad to say the least (remember I work in a museum - we don't do math in museums), so perhaps I did something wrong, but it appears that I should be making a $20 bill last for about 3 weeks every month. That can't be right, can it? Surely not. Anyway, I got so depressed that I gave up and put the day-planner away. I'll try it again when I'm in a happier state of mind.

Happily, this gloomy financial forecast didn't dampen the whole weekend. My friend GG called last evening and invited me over for an impromptu cocktail hour and dinner of stuff she'd bought at the farmer's market. It was a pleasant evening and the food was very tasty. I am always impressed by people who can whip up great meals out of basic, simple ingredients. I am not one of those people.

Also, I watched the movie In Bruges (starring Colin Farrel) last night. I was excited about it, because the previews for it looked pretty funny. And actually the first hour or so of it was pretty funny. Then all of the sudden it took this super-violent, very dark turn somewhere in the middle. It did not end well. So, I'm not sure I can really reccomend it. However, it was excellent Colin Farrel-viewing though!

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Um, a day has gone by without a post from you. Should I be worried? Or are you just working on the placement of your Ethernet cable? ;)

M said...

I know, I know - I'm falling behind already! Actually, I made a huge mess in my kitchen last night and spent the rest of my time cleaning it, so no posting. Stay tuned for this evening, though...