Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Lists

After my last post that was basically one long whine-fest, I've decided to discuss something a little lighter this evening. I noticed today at the museum that at one point I had 3 separate to-do lists going, and at the time I noticed I was in the process of writing a 4th one. Huh. In fact, once I stopped to think about it, I had several to-do lists from past days stuffed in the pockets of my work purse, a couple magnetted (new word) to my fridge at home, and at least a few dozen other types of lists cataloging everything from "stuff I need to purchase for the Fall '08 wardrobe" to "home improvement projects I would do if I owned a house". I don't know when it happened, but somewhere along the way I've become a LIST-MAKER.

Now, my dear childhood friend BD will tell you that I was most definitely NOT a list-writer as a kid. BD was the list person back then - whenever we disagreed over what to do for fun on a Saturday afternoon, she would magically produce paper and pens and make everyone in attendance list, in descending order, the things they would like to do. Then everyone would read their's out loud and we would vote. At the time, I hated this list-making excercise, but in all honesty it usually worked. In hearing everyone's lists and rationale for their choices, we came up with some pretty cool stuff to occupy our time (how many of you out there can say that you actually played in the local dump?) Perhaps BD's childhood wisdom made an impression, because I am now most definitely a follower of the listing philosophy.

Sadly, I can't say that all of my various lists have made me any more organized or any more efficient in my daily life. I know what I need to get done, I just very rarely actually accomplish it. Still, the act of checking something off a list is pure satisfaction - especially when its something you've been putting off forever and ever. So, tonight I'm going to sign off and pay bills. That's been on my list for way, way too long...

P.S. Congrats on your anniversary BD! The house looks great...

1 comment:

miss bess said...

I almost just pissed myself laughing. The funny thing is, I'm the one, present day, who forgets appointments, rarely writes in her much-needed date book and, when traveling, usually has to buy new toothbrushes because she didn't make a LIST before she left home, where her toothbrush sits.

Regardless, playing in the dump was the best. My favorite "list" activities where when one of us would include some poor adult who was watching us for the day. For example, "Have my mom drive us to get a movie at the Betamax place on Chestnut Street." OR "Have my mom drive us to the dollhouse store." OR "Have my mom drive us to the Spring House."

...our moms had it rough. "Uhhh...sorry Mom! We couldn't come up with anything spectacular to do in the yard, so can you take us some place??"