Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In Memory of...




Just a couple of photos from the annual Luminaria at the local Civil War battlefield over the weekend. I have been to this cemetery many, many times in the daylight, and yeah, 3,500 graves looks like a lot. But when you see a little candlight next to each and every one of them it looks like a million points of light, and it really makes you stop and think. I learned this year that under most of the 3,500 grave markers the remains of 3 or 4 soldiers are buried. I'll do the math for you - that's between 10,000 and 13,000 people. And that's from just one battle in the Civil War. Unbelievable.

Anyway, that's how I marked the occasion...

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Um - sorry - I am still holding your other pictures hostage. I have my camera at work today but not my little USB plug to download them. I'll send them soon, I promise!!!

miss bess said...

I love this pic! I missed you this weekend. Couldn't get that game of jailbreak together cause you weren't around...(wink)