Saturday, January 23, 2010

Eek! A Leak!


My first homeownership crisis has arrived. Or is it my second? Third? Anyway, during the heavy rain we've been having over the last 2 days, I discovered that my roof is leaking. Yep, a nice big leak near the chimney is allowing a pretty steady stream of water to flow down the chimney, through the kitchen ceiling and onto the floor of my mud room. Awesome. So, yesterday I spent most of the morning trying to get reccomendations for a roofer, and trying to ascertain whether or not my home warranty covers roof leaks (it does not - does it actually cover anything??). Today I have to hope that one of the three roofers I left messages with yesterday calls me back, because we're supposed to get nearly 2 inches of rain tomorrow, and I'm getting really tired of lugging full buckets of water down from my attic every few hours!

In other news, Pepper has a boyrfriend. His name is Harvey and he lives next door, but seems to spend much of his time on my front stoop. Pepper thinks he's the bees knees. Her social life is way better than mine...

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Argh! I think all homeowners have something unexpected and NOT covered by a home warranty happen in the first few months (you'll recall my run-in with the exploded pipe during Antiques Forum 2007!).

Fingers crossed that your roofers call you back!

L. said...

Maybe that's why it's called a mud room, from all of the water leaking down? I'll be here all night, folks. (Good luck with the leak!)

miss bess said...

I called a roofer last week - no joke. My porch roof is leaking so badly, my front storm door is sticking shut. Grrrrr...

M said...

Could you ask him if he does any work in Virginia?? I'm having issues locating anyone around here. Luckily its supposed to snow like crazy this weekend, so at least everything will be too frozen to drip!