Sunday, February 15, 2009

Freaking Out a Bit...

Normally, I don't allow my work-related stresses to invade my personal time on the weekends (well, occasionally I do, but not often). But I must admit that this weekend I have pretty much been one big ball of nerves over work and what's going to happen there next week (as in TOMORROW - dear God, only 18 hours of freedom left!). You see, today my museum closed to the public, and we will be closed for the next 6 months while our little historic building gets totally renovated inside and out. Actually, that part's really great - we really, really need the renovations (which will guve us things like a handicap-accessible bathroom and electrical wiring that is significantly upgraded from our existing wiring dating to ca. 1955 - we call it "vintage"). But, in order for these massive renovations to take place, EVERYTHING in the building has to be moved out. All of our office stuff, all of the gift shop contents, and, oh yeah, the museum's collection. I did win a battle to hire a professional art handling company to come in and physically move the collection to a secure, climate-controlled storage facility, so that's good, but there's a lot of prep work to do beforehand, and I'm the one doing it. Everyone who works in a museum will tell you that moving even portions of a collection is a headache of monumental proportions, and moving the whole thing is, well, its always a disaster to one degree or another. So, tomorrow morning at 8:00am the art handlers are showing up, and we'll see if all my prep work over the last few months has been worth it. And we'll see how hell-ish my life is going to be over the next 2 weeks.

Also, just to be helpful, my boss sent me an email this morning to let me know that when he stopped in to the museum a few hours ago our security alarm was beeping, but "he took care of it". First, when you open the door to enter the museum, the security alarm always beeps. That's how it works. Since my boss is NEVER the first one at the museum in the morning, I'm guessing he just didn't know this. Second, I have no idea what he measn by "took care of it". Did he call the police? Did he rip the alarm box out of the wall? Did he tackle a would-be burglar in the hallway? Hmmm. Something else to look forward to come Monday morning...

2 comments:

miss bess said...

Good luck M!!!!!!!

My advice - treat yourself to a bottle of wine this week...OR A FOUR! You deserve it.

L. said...

I hope things are going well so far!