Thursday, July 23, 2009

Boston, Part 1

The "Birthplace" house - where JA was born.

Peacefield - the house JA bought after his presidency. It was owned by the Adams family up until the 1920's.

The coolest place in Boston Common!
Here's the first few of my pictures from Boston. After a long 12 hour train ride, on which we sat behind a family that liked to scream at their kids in Russian - I wish you had been there, Bess, you coulda translated for us! - we made our first tour stop at Adams National Historic Park, the home of John Adams. Very cool, although from a curatorial perspective they need some help! I truly appreciate the fact that G's college friends Theresa and Kristin were willing to hang in there through the history-geek bonanza that ensued as we explored all three houses on the park property - thanks ladies! The third photo above was taken on Boston Common. I took it to prove that for the two full days we were in Boston it was FREAKIN' HOT!!!!!!!!!! Apparently Boston has been suffering through a really cold, rainy summer thus far, except for the two days the Virginians were in town. In the photo, you can see all the kids of Boston desperately trying to cool off in this beautiful wading pool. I cooled my feet for a minute, too.
Tomorrow: swans, Bunker Hill and where exactly is Sam Adams buried??

3 comments:

miss bess said...

I feel so ashamed. I've been to Boston a gillion times but never made it to these homes, which look really beautiful in your photos! I can't wait for more New England posts...I'm adding JA homes to my list for the next visit!

Gretchen said...

Oh yippee. A big butt shot of me. Thanks M! ;)

M said...

But you're wearing your cute touring outfit! And if that's a big butt shot, I can't even imagine what the photos of me from the back must look like...