Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Latest Batch





So, it seems the real estate market picked up a bit around here while I was in Boston. Last night after work, Suzy and I went to look at three different houses, pictured above. All are excellent prospects! The first one, a 1957 rambler, is in very good shape, has a somewhat updated kitchen and is on a quiet, residential/commercial street. Its the lowest-priced of the three, but its also pretty small - two bedrooms/one bath. It has an awesome yard, though! The only real drawback is the second house shown above - only slightly more expensive but 3 times as large. Its a 1967 ranch with a sunroom, 3 bedrooms and a huge finished basement. If it weren't for this second house I wouldn't even be debating making an offer on the first one, but now I'm wondering - do I buy a tiny but cute house or a much larger but less attractive house? The larger house would have better resale value, but I've always thought buying a house based on resale value is kinda pointless - why should I buy a house based on what other people find appealing? I'm the one who has to live there! So, anyway I'm doing some serious debating back and forth between the two (it doesn't help that I might just be the most indecisive person in the world). The last house shown above is a little rambler that's ACTUALLY LOCATED DOWNTOWN and its priced UNDER $200,000!!!!!!!!!!! However, its still above my price range. Suzy says it is extremely unlikely that the buyer would accept what I can offer, but she's going to make a verbal offer in a few days, just on the off chance. I'm holding out hope that because it needs serious updates inside that everyone else will pass on it. A girl can hope, right? In the meantime, I have to choose between the more reality-based properties. Hmmm...

5 comments:

miss bess said...

Ok, not to make your decision any harder but...

So, I never knew how I felt about ranches until I found this blog of a young couple working their way through their first Virginia home and...here it is...a ranch! It's so adorable the things they've done to make it their own. I absolutely LOVe it. I visit this site almost daily. Check it out for some inspiration.

www.younghouselove.com

M said...

Actually, thanks to the link on your blog I've been following John and Sherry for quite a while now! And I agree their house is ADORABLE!! That's the real reason I went to look at the ranch house the other day - it reminded me of their's. I think, though, my personal style is just different than their's, because I just didn't get much vibe when I was in the ranch - couldn't quite picture my stuff in there, etc. I'm still cogitating, though!

Cathy said...

Do you have links to interior pics on MLS or anything?

The first house is cute as a button, but I tend to agree that more space is never a bad thing(especially when we're talking a 3-5 year commitment, minimum). I looked at some tiny, but adorable houses, but they never, ever would have fit Josh, and me, and our business, all of which were just glimmers on the horizon when I was house hunting.

The rancher is not bad looking either, and brick! With some investment of time and sweat equity to improve the landscaping it could be really cute.

M said...

Cathy! On my blog! Thanks for the thoughts...Yes, if I had to fit everything that you have going on into a house, there would be no question as to which one I would be leaning towards! The thing I forgot to mention about the smaller house is that it also has a fairly large "shed" in the yard, which is actually a little house, with a workshop, etc. Huge potential there, too. I'll send you a link to the interior photos!

miss bess said...

M - I totally agree. John and Sherry's tastes are far different from my own too, but their ideas are inspiring. Don't forget - paint and tearing up carpet makes for an entirely different space. Then again, who needs a finished basement when you don't have table hockey?

Little aint bad, as long as you can entertain and fit a sleeping bag for us PA visitors...then again, when buying my rather small 4 square, I didn't take into consideration the wideness of my stairwell when thinking of my bed size, furniture, etc., and then need to get it to the second floor. That's a thought. I had to cut my bed frame in half! Let's hope I don't move for a LONG time.

Ok...done now. Back to work. Gotta read the police beat. ; )