Monday, March 1, 2010

Are Those Inflatable Beavers?!?


Sadly, the 2010 Winter Olympics came to an end last night. In an unbelievable written-for-Hollywood game in the afternoon, Canada's hockey team beat the US by one goal in overtime, and 2 hours later it was time for the closing ceremonies. Vancouver treated the world to a dazzling final show consisting of enormous cartoon-style Mounties, dancing canoes and - I'm not kidding - giant inflatable beavers. It was all set to the mellow strains of Michael Buble. I'm not going to lie, it was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen, and not really in a good way. My parents were visiting this weekend, and I insisted that we watch the closing ceremonies. They both sat on my couch with horrified looks on their faces the whole way through it.

Oh, Vancouver. You're so Canadian.

I'm going to miss the Olympics. I always do when they're over. But, we had a good run - 37 American medals (a record for any nation in a Winter Olympics) and the Canadians got 14 golds (also a record). The competition was great, and the memories will last. I really do love the Olympics...

No comments: