Saturday, January 31, 2009

Getting Ready!

So the big day is just 24 hours away! I'm referring to the Super Bowl of course - the big Steelers/Cardinals smack-down. I'm having a couple of friends and my cousin over to watch, and because every party needs a theme I'm serving Pittsburgh-style food. For those of you who may be a bit unfamiliar, here are some links to explain:

First, Primanti's sandwhiches. Basically, you put lots of meat, cheese, cole slaw and french fries on thick slices of bread, wrap it in parchment, then chop it in two with a knife that looks a lot like a machete. Sadly, I don't own a machete. But, the rest of it I can do!

Secondly, pierogies. I think every culture in the world has some sort of dough pocket filled with potatoes and cheese. In Eastern Europe, they're called pierogies. And they are a hometown favorite in Pittsburgh. I'm not going to make my own for tomorrow (I think only Polish grandmothers are actually allowed to make them) but here's a recipe for anyone who's adventurous.

Thirdly, Sarris chocolate-covered pretzels. Okay, okay, Sarris Chocolates is actually located in Canonsburg, PA not Pittsburgh, but its only about 15-20 minutes away on Rt.19. But anyone who loves chocolate and lives in Pittsburgh eats Sarris. Its the law.

Fourth, Iron City beer. Its really terrible - or so I'm told. I don't actually like beer at all, so I can't really tell the difference between good and bad. But Iron City is a must at a Pittsburgh-themed party - although I have a feeling no one is going to drink it!

So, that's my plan. I'm hungry just thinking about it!

No comments: